How We Get Paid
Our fees are transparent (see below) so you never have to guess whether our advice is for our benefit or your family’s. As fiduciaries, we are legally required to be ethical and we are happy to share our prices up front.
In 2018, Jason Howell Company was featured in the New York Times for serving clients without having to manage their money. We are proud to continue offering that flexibility to current and new clients.
If we directly manage your investments, our investment management fee begins at an annual 1%. If we do not manage your investments, we are paid via flat fee as you will see below.
INITIAL 6 MONTH ROADMAP: Comprehensive Financial Planning
All clients start here. The process of creating a financial ROADMAP for your family usually takes about 3 to 4 months. Our clients work with us for a minimum of 6 month increments which may allow time for some review and execution of the ROADMAP.
ROADMAPS (our deliverable) are reports that include:
- One-page executive summary of your financial plan
- Two or three pages of bulleted recommendations (40 to 60 recommendations)
- Six to Eight pages of written analysis with recommendations
- Forty+ pages of supplemental supporting schedules
We are documenting actionable analysis and advice on:
- Family governance - outlining a system for passing along values with wealth
- Retirement planning- estimating income, savings and the cost of your medical care
- Budget priorities - for example, saving vs. investing vs. paying down your debt
- College planning - approximating the costs and presenting funding options
- Maximizing idle cash - in checking, savings or your investment accounts
- Work benefits - including your retirement account investment choices
- Investment strategies - allocation, rebalancing and fee minimization strategies
- Insurance planning - risk management strategies to protect your goals and plans
- Tax planning - including federal and state tax strategies to maximize cash flow
- Estate planning - minimizing stress on your family at the end of your life
- Business planning - separating business financials from personal financials
OUR FLAT FEE: $5,000 ($2,500 up front then $2,500 in 12 weeks)
EACH ADDITIONAL 6 MONTHS: Plan Implementation & Review
Clients can come to us for just a ROADMAP (see above) or choose to continue with us for plan implementation and execution. If they choose to continue, clients will receive an ongoing implementation guide and assistance with the following:
- Drafting family stories, aspirations, values and a family constitution
- Facilitating conversations about money among family members
- Inviting and coordinating the assistance of estate planners, CPAs and insurance agents
- Drafting a personalized Investment Policy Statement (IPS) for each member client
- Transferring old retirement accounts (if necessary) and other investment accounts
- Managing investments and communicating fees and quarterly performance
- Reviewing the progress towards achieving goals and making changes as life changes
- Reviewing and revising the financial ROADMAP at least annually
- Ongoing "nudging" to encourage that plans are followed so their family wins
OUR FLAT FEE: $2,500 (OR a pro-rata annual 1% of assets we manage*)
One-time fee clients pay $5,000 for one 6 month engagement planning process and ROADMAP. Clients who choose to continue working with us pay an additional $2,500 for the next 6 months (i.e. $7,500 total for the first year) and $5,000 for each year thereafter. If managing investment assets for you is an option, our ongoing fee will fluctuate based on your investment account balance.
We have options for being compensated in a way that suits your family. Contact us and we will listen to your situation.
*For qualified investors.